- 20 February 2014
- Job Opportunity
Urban Village Church seeks worship leader/band leader. We are an expanding, inclusive Christian community. Doubter or believer, gay or straight, tattoos or suits: all are welcome. We seek a worship leader/musician/band leader to lead weekly Sunday services starting late spring 2014.— someone who can pull together a band from nothing, loves playing and singing with others, and has organizational skills to manage lots of loose threads. This is a part-time (10-15 hr/week) position but could easily grow as our church grows.
1) recruiting and overseeing a great volunteer band (instruments and vocalists) for one service on Sunday mornings
2) choosing, preparing, rehearsing and leading the music;
3) organizing all related activities (a/v, sound set-up, rehearsal scheduling, charting, publicity, etc.)
This is a part-time (10-15 hr/week) position but could easily grow as our church grows. Annual salary commensurate with experience: $11,000-$15,000.
The ideal candidate will lead strongly on guitar and vocals (if you play keys or something else, too, let us know) with a broad musical range:
• traditional and contemporary Black Gospel (Mary Mary)
• contemporary worship music (Chris Tomlin, Gungor, Aaron Niequist)
• pop/folk/rock from Stevie Wonder to Mumford & Sons to Ron Sexsmith
• folky/bluegrass/acoustic updates of traditional Christian hymns (Sufjan Stevens, Welcome Wagon);
• ability to put down the guitar and teach people to sing an old spiritual a cappella, maybe even with different vocal parts.
Urban Village Church is very committed to diversity. We strongly encourage all qualified applicants, especially people from racial/ethnic minority groups, to apply.
Our ethos is experiential, fun, welcoming, and eclectic. We are not looking for a rock star but for someone who enjoys leading God’s people in worship and helping people discover the countercultural joy of singing together.
Interested or know someone who might be? ASAP, send an email to chris@urbanvillagechurch. with ALL of the following (1) a description of your style, repertoire, and experience; (2) a short resume including 3 references and their contact information; and (3) audio or video links to samples of your music/music leading.
Comments are closed.